VA Loan Eligibility Documentation Requirements for National Guard or the Reserves

If you are a member of the National Guard or the Reserves, your VA home loan eligibility requirements are different than those serving active duty. Do you know what paperwork and documentation you need to submit to the Department of Veterans Affairs in order to get your VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility?

The paperwork may vary depending on your service. Were you activated for Federal Active Service? Or did you leave the military without getting activated? Are you currently serving? If you are still on duty or have left the service and have the minimum time served requirement met, you should submit paperwork to the VA as described below:

Current/former National Guard/Reserve member who has been activated for Federal active service

DD Form 214 - required to have a copy showing the character of service (item 24) and the
narrative reason for separation (item 28).

Currently serving National Guard/Reserve member who has never been Federal active service

The VA official site says the following is required to be sent to the VA:
Statement of service: Signed by (or by the direction of): the adjutant, personnel officer or commander of your unit or higher headquarters showing:

  • Your full name
  • Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Entry date on duty
  • The total number of creditable years of service
  • The duration of any lost time
  • The name of the command providing the information

Discharged National Guard never activated for Federal active service

The VA official site says you must submit:
NGB Form 22, Report of Separation and Record of Service, for each period of National Guard service
NGB Form 23, Retirement Points Accounting, and proof of the character of service

It’s important to remember that even if you are required to submit information about retirement points as a condition of the loan application, your retirement points don’t factor in when it comes to your VA loan eligibility. All that matters is the time served and the nature of your discharge. Any discharge except dishonorable can qualify for a VA home loan.

Rate this item
(1 Vote)